Here at SMA, we are continuously looking to expand our existing teams, to help deliver successful outcomes for our clients. We build strong working relationships and you have the opportunity to work on exciting and varied projects. We currently have positions available within our Drainage and Civils teams. Please see Job Specifications below for more information.
Job Specification – Principal Drainage Engineer
The key focus will be the assisting your Line Manger in overseeing and leading the drainage team in producing Flood Risk Assessments and developing foul or surface water drainage strategies and developing design and approvals of below ground drainage systems. Knowledge of the principles and assessment of River modelling would be an advantage but is not essential.
Summary of the broad purpose of the position and its responsibilities/duties:
1. Taking the lead role on a variety of projects at any one time;
2. Ensuring each project adheres to budget and time constraints;
3. Attend design and site meetings;
4. Maintain and build good client relationships;
5. Development, leadership and delivery of foul and surface water drainage designs and strategies;
6. Ensure bids submitted reflect client requirements and are prepared and submitted in compliance with SMA procedures;
7. Promote close working across the Company;
8. Responsible for employee development and mentoring staff;
9. Contribute towards the development of high levels of drainage performance, reliability and quality;
10. Undertake Flood Risk Assessments and demonstrate a thorough understanding of current assessment techniques;
11. Produce technical reports efficiently and accurately;
12. Demonstrate proficiency with the assessment, design and specification of highway, surface and foul water drainage systems for residential and commercial development proposals;
13. Demonstrate proficiency with the design and specification of sustainable drainage systems to current design standards;
14. Demonstrate a proficiency with the design and specification of both adoptable and private sewerage pumping stations;
15. Contribute towards the preparation and submission of Section 98, 104 and 106 agreements;
16. Disseminate knowledge to junior members of staff;
17. To manage and motivate junior staff and assist with their general training and development.
Job Specification – Principal Infrastructure Engineer
Reporting to a Director you will lead a small team of engineers and technicians engaged on highway, water and sewerage, development infrastructure, minerals, waste and environmental engineering projects. Your responsibilities will include, but will not necessarily be restricted to, the following:
1. To represent the Company at project meetings, public meetings and public inquiries with a high commitment to thorough preparation and professional presentation and due regard to smartness of attire and articulation;
2. To build and maintain good Client relationships to secure and maintain Client confidence and to attract new and repeat business;
3. To identify and actively pursue opportunities to win commissions from new Clients;
4. To monitor and control expenditure on projects, and to assist with invoicing and chasing prompt settlement of invoices;
5. To commit to continuous professional development (CPD) and maintain a high level of competency and knowledge of specialist topics and current best practices;
6. To manage projects and commissions ensuring quality control, timely production of outputs, efficient working, cost control and good communications within the Company and with client, other consultants and statutory bodies;
7. To manage and motivate junior staff and assist with their general training and development;
8. To thoroughly check all work that has been delegated to others to ensure a high and consistent quality of work;
9. To be responsible for preparing and checking Reports and Contract Documents, and ensuring all written material is well structured and grammatically correct;
10. To generally assist the Board of Directors with various administrative functions to ensure the smooth running of the Company’s business;
11. Ensuring compliance with the Company’s responsibilities under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 and approved Code of Practice subsequent revisions thereto;
12. Highway and earthworks design using PDS software;
13. Liaison with Approving authorities, utility companies and other professionals;
14. Drainage design using Microdrainage;
15. Preparation of drawings using AutoCAD;
16. Preparation of tender/contract documentation;
17. Organising land surveys and site investigations;
18. Contract administration and supervisory duties.
Our experienced and qualified staff bring commercial awareness and a proactive approach to all commissions, which range from small scale sites to large urban extensions, strategic development and multi-million pound projects.
Whether you require an initial high-level appraisal, completion of technical reports to accompany a Planning Application or detailed design post consent, SMA have the capabilities to do it all.
Celebrating planning approvals and welcoming new members of the SMA team!